Skip to main content

Life and Such

Have you ever stopped and thought to yourself, Wow, I can't believe this is my real life? I've had that thought repeatedly over the past year. Why, you may ask? Well, let me tell you. It's partly because I do really crazy things that always make me wonder how and why I do the things I do and partly because life can be really awesome. And sad, but, to be honest, we all know way too much about the sad stuff already so that's not what I want to focus on here. Anyways, I've been thinking about how crazy life is lately mostly because I'm getting ready to graduate from my Physical Therapist Assistant (PTA) program in December. That may seem crazy cause that's like super far away, but I plan ahead. Surprisingly. (See previous post).

But, when you consider that at the time of my last post I thought that I would be going to a 4 year college about an hour away from home, majoring in general biology, and heading to a Physical Therapy school to get my doctorate, my life has turned out very differently. But ya know other than that I had no real idea what I was going to be doing. Even the few things I was planning on I only had loose ideas about what they would look like. At that point, I was hoping to be leaving that fall to get working on my bachelor's at the 4 year school of my choice. I mean I was really hoping to do that. I was pumped about life and wanted to get going.

I was honestly really disappointed when I figured out that wouldn't work.
And now, I couldn't be happier that it worked out that way.

I was a dumb kid.
A really dumb kid.
It was humerus (humorous? medical spelling got me like wuuut).

**Side note: I also sometimes feel that I should not be allowed to be a medical professional. A huge part of my likely life-long career is helping people walk again, and honestly, I can't even walk in a straight line; I trip on the stairs; I run into a door or wall almost weekly. But I can help YOU walk! Just another one of the inronys of my life**

Anywho, the point of all that is that at the time of writing the last post I hadn't even decided to go towards being a PTA. I had most of the prerequisite classes (plus a few dozen other credits 😛), and I was still dead set on being a DPT (doctorate of Physical Therapy, it's actually not as impressive as it sounds. Still difficult, but the doctor part is not what most people think of). But after having a really rough spring semester in 2016 I really questioned whether or not I could even academically do a doctorate program. Summer of 2016 found me travelling a lot, and it hit me that I didn't want to be in school anymore. However, at that point, even though I had been taking college classes for a solid 2 years, I had basically nothing to show for it. I wrestled and debated all summer with the idea of skipping out of PT school and going with a 1 or 2 year PTA program. I was so done with school. So done. And to be perfectly honest, I had always hated school, with a very deep passion.

Therefore, 2 weeks before the semester started I decided to apply for a PTA program that had a spring start. It was the only program I had found with a spring start. This also happened to be perfect because I needed one more class, but because it was so late basically every class was closed. I couldn't enroll. It would be another year before I could even apply to my program. But then, I had the crazy idea that maybe, just maybe, there would be a late start section of the last class I needed before I could apply. And there it was.



That right there...that's the truth. I prayed so much over that semester especially for God to open the doors that He wanted me to walk through. But even after I got into that class I wasn't guaranteed to be accepted to any PTA school. So here I am thinking Okay, well, at least I can apply to schools now. I won't get in prolly, but practice writing essays and going through the process is a great thing. 

All right, have I mentioned before that I was a dumb kid?
Cause I was a dumb kid. 

I applied to one school hoping that I would be accepted, but not expecting at all to be accepted to the first school that I applied for. But, man. Wow. Still floors me that I was accepted to that school. Sometimes people are like, "Come on thought, you're smart, of course you were gonna get into school." And I be like, "Dude, I run into walls...." Then we awkwardly stare at each other while they try to say something that sounds good so I don't feel bad about myself while I'm inwardly laughing at how honestly funny the entire thing is. All kidding aside though, none of us are guaranteed anything in life. I was never guaranteed to get into any school. I prayed for that. And just to clarify I would like to say that just because we pray for something doesn't mean it's going to happen either. God, the Creator of Everything, is not bound by our desires or requests. 

Nonetheless, I ended up in a PTA school actually loving school for the first time in forever. What's even more amazing is that I want to keep going and get more schooling. Honestly, wanting to keep going and to finish a bachelor's and potential go further into the physical therapy field. 

Why is any of this worth mentioning now? Excellent question. Because it should never become old news to reiterate what God has done to get you where you are. It is truly amazing. My long story short is that 2 years ago, I had no desire at all to be where I'm at today, and yet here I am and I absolutely love that this is what I'm doing. 

Now this would probably be a good place to end this post, but as usual I'm going to keep talking and hope I don't regret it later...foolproof. 

So, anyways, to continue on the train of thought of why life is awesome, I get to be a counselor for the summer. How awesome is that? I get to be around people all summer in the best way possible by serving my guts out. But that also means that in a way I'm saying goodbye to a lot of people in the next few months. It's bittersweet, my friends. 

But thanks to technology I'll never be more than a text, email, or Facebook message away from friends and family. Life is still awesome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello!

Hello, there!  I have decided to start my own blog.  I am a spontaneous person.  I do not always think things through before I start them, and that's pretty much everything I do in life. So here I am! Super excited. Probably not really prepared, but I do have some stories to tell. However, first I will give some introduction. My name is Dory. Dory? As in super-forgetful-almost-can't-remember-your-name-Dory? Yes, that Dory. As far as the story behind it goes, this one is actually pretty self-explanatory. I'm just a forgetful person, which is where about 3/4 of my funny stories come from.  I'm a student at a community college working on my prerequisites for my bachelors degree. Being a forgetful student in college is pretty interesting. Now to clarify--I don't drink or do drugs or anything that would really explain being forgetful. I just am forgetful.  and forgetful However, beings that it's a community college I see some pretty funny t